Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Safe Foods List

If you have a serious problem with sulfites, you already know that the foods to avoid are numerous and infiltrate practically every facet of cooking and eating. I've found it most helpful to focus on the foods I CAN have. It's much easier to cook and be inspired with a list of possible ingredients staring you in the face, so I would recommend printing this out and posting it somewhere in your kitchen. This is a list that will require some explanation, so I will expound on each section of the list in future posts.

The Safe List:



Fruits:

Apples
Apricots
Avocados
Bananas
Berries
Citrus (limit, contain low sulfites)
Cherries
Mangoes
Melons
Nectarines
Papaya
Passionfruit
Peaches
Pears
Pineapple
Plums
Pomegranates
Tomatoes
Starfruit

Veggies:

Artichokes
Asparagus (limit, contains low sulfites)
Beats
Bell peppers (limit, contain low sulfites, red has least)
Carrots
Celery
Cruciferous veggies (limit, contain low sulfites) 
Cucumber
Eggplant
Endives
Ginger
Herbs
Lettuces
Legumes (limit, contain low sulfites, green beans lowest)
Mushrooms (limit, contain low sulfites)
Parsnips
Potatoes
Squash

Grains: (all have some sulfites, use sparingly)

Amaranth
Barley
Corn (except starch and syrup)
Millet
Oats (most sulfites)
Quinoa
Rice (least sulfites)
Spelt
Wheat

Proteins: (Dairy is the only sulfite free protein)

Dairy (butter, cream, milk, yogurt are okay)
Fish (contains low sulfites, watch for hidden added sulfites)
Red Meat (high sulfites)
Nuts and Seeds (contain low sulfites, avoid peanuts and sunflower seeds)
Poultry (contains low sulfites, chicken is lowest)
Pork (highest sulfites)

Sweeteners:

Agave nectar/syrup
Brown rice syrup
Carob syrup
Fruit juice
Honey
Stevia (fresh leaves only)

Kitchen staples:

Arrow root powder
Flax meal
Mustard
Oil (olive, sesame, sunflower)
Salt
Vinegars (only unseasoned rice and white)

Alcohol:

Brandy
Gin
Rum
Sake
Scotch
Tequila
Vodka
Whisky (without caramel color)



8 comments:

  1. I am glad to find your web site! I am hoping that you will submit alot more recipes. I have been very sick and in the er 3 times this week. I was given a sulfur antibiotic almost 2 weeks ago, and I am still reacting. have been scared to eat anything. Thank you CA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been tracking down what is bothering me and I am pretty sure it's Sulfites which is really depressing because they are in so many foods but thank you for making this list and I will focus on what I can eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this list. I know that your list is accurate be cause of years of reactions.
    No Presserved dried fruits , wine, or beer. I didn't know that red meat and pork are bad. Is organically raised meat free from sulphites? Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just discovered sulfites were giving me 4 hour long migraines. And before these started I could eat all the sulfites I wanted with no reaction( frozen fruits/veggies, certain sauce etc) iv realized my body was dehydrated and I drank pedialytes, mineral water, calcium and magnesium. All these things are responsible for proper uptake of water into cells. One week later with some prayer and no more migraines.
    My advice get hydrated stay away b from caffeine and sugar as that will draw those vital minerals out of your body and cause dehydration. Let those go until your doing better add back slowly if u wish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every other list says red meat is fine! I'm so confused

    ReplyDelete